Founded by Mr. Lebherz’s estate to purchase materials for C. Burr Artz Library’s Maryland Room.
A remarkable writer, Richard T. Lebherz was a graduate of St. John’s School of Frederick. He attended the Institute of Contemporary Arts in Washington and Columbia University in New York. He served during World War II from 1942-1945, beginning in the U.S. Army, where he trained with the RAF in England as a cryptographer, and later transferring to the 9th Air Force in Germany as an official U.S. Army correspondent. Writing for Time Magazine, Nova and Queen Magazine in London, The Washington Post, The Frederick News-Post, Maryland Magazine, and acting as editor and writer for Diversions, later to become Frederick Magazine, Mr. Lebherz left his mark in print as well as in the novels he penned. Moreover, he was active in local civic affairs. Mr. Lebherz served two terms as president of the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation and was appointed by Mayor Ronald Young in 1989 as Curator for the City of Frederick. He was involved with the Delaplaine Visual Arts Education Center and Hood College. He made provisions in his will to create The Richard T. Lebherz Endowment Fund to support the purchase of materials for the Maryland Room of the C. Burr Artz Library, a repository of research on the history of Maryland and Frederick County.